Thursday, March 5, 2009

The worst teeth I've ever seen, connected to a really cool patient!!!!

I have to write about an amazing pt. I had today. My original pt. didn't show up and so I found a pt. who was on call. He came to weber to ask about a dentist to get help with extractions in his mouth. He had been to a dentist previously who told him that he had to get all of his teeth extracted. We talked him into coming to get his teeth cleaned before his extractions. So I cleaned the 12 teeth he had left which were full of caries on all sides, and cleaned some teeth that had been broken off at the gum line and only had retained root tips. It took a long time to clean them and to try and figure out how to get the angulation right in order to reach where I needed to clean them properly. He had a significant amount of plaque and calc. which made it difficult to clean. He told me he used to smoke a pack a day for 30 years but just quit 2 months ago. He later asked me if I was LDS and said that he had been recently baptized, and that is why he quit smoking and drinking. So we talked about his conversion for a little while, and it ended up being an amazing experience, not only to get to know him, but to learn how to clean his teeth. Awesome day!!!!

No comments: